It's a bit of a running joke that Maryland has a lot of unusual place names that are hard for out-of-state folks to pronounce or spell. It's easy to laugh at them, but can you do better? See how many of the correct spellings of local place names you can identify -- good luck! Answers are at the bottom.
1. Is it Bethesda, Bethisda, or Bethdesa?
2. Is it Middleton, Middletown, or Middlestown?
3. Is it Salsbury, Salisbury, or Sallisbury?
4. Is it Westminister, Westminnster, or Westminster?
5. Is it Dorchester County, Dorcester County, or Doorchester County?
6. Is it Elicott City, Elliocot City, or Ellicott City?
7. Is it Have de Grace, Havre de Grace, or Havre da Grace?
8. Is it Mount Airy, Mount Airey, or Mount Eiry?
9. Is it Rise Sun, Rising Sun, or Risen Sun?
10. Is it Prince George County, Prince George's County, or King George County?
11. Is it Anapolis, Anapollis, or Annapolis?
12. Is it Upper Marboro, Upper Marlboro, or Upper Marlburough?
Answers:Bethesda, Middletown, Salisbury, Westminster, Dorchester County, Ellicott City, Havre de Grace, Mount Airy, Rising Sun, Prince George's County, Annapolis, Upper Marlboro