Authors: Rebecca Morris
In 1862, Annapolis became the main depot on the east coast for Union prisoners released on parole by the Confederacy. As the war progressed, tens of thousands of men were sent to this city as either exchanged soldiers just released from Rebel prisoners or parolees awaiting their exchange. Morris does an excellent job explaining the parole and exchange system and then goes on to detail the evolution of the parole camps and hospitals from the first camp on the Naval Academy grounds to the third and final camp located outside the city limits. The reader is also given some insight into the lives of the prisoners, guards, doctors, and nurses who populated these facilities. The final chapter covers the opening of Clara Barton’s Office of Missing Soldiers at Camp Parole.
Trade paper, 6" x 9", 31 illustrations, 2 maps, 109 pages